Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandma Helen!

This past weekend my family celebrated my Grandma's 90th birthday.  My mom and her sisters had planned to have a big party on Saturday night with the whole family.  Obviously I didn't want to miss it, so I flew to Utah on Friday night.  It proved to be one of the busiest weekends ever!  I got in around ten o'clock that night and spent the night at my mom's house.  My brother and sister in-law from Oregon were also staying there with their two kids.  The craziness started the next morning.  I woke up only to find out that my mom had been up all night with the stomach flu.  Which meant she wouldn't be able to attend the party that night that she had worked so hard to plan and had been really looking forward to.  Poor Mom!!  My family always seems to get sick at the worst possible times.  She once got sick on Thanksgiving, and my dad was sick on my wedding day!  Crazy!  
Anyway, I received special instructions (you Gardiners will understand what I mean by "special" :) )from my mom to present the things that she was supposed to do at the party.  My Grandma had written her life story, which my mom had printed and bound into copies for all of the kids and grandkids to have, and my mom was supposed to be in charge of handing those out as well.  That also  became my new responsibility.  I felt so bad because I knew how hard my mom had worked getting everything ready.  
After making sure mom was ok and had everything she needed, I helped watch my niece and nephew for my brother, who was installing a new sprinkling system in my mom's yard while his wife was out for a run.  When she got back I headed over to my mother in-law's house to go have lunch and go shopping with her and my sister, Laurie, and Hailey.  We went to CPK (yes Laurie, CPK!!) at the Gateway and then went shopping.  The best part was that Shellie told me and Laurie that we could each have $100.00 to spend on whatever we wanted!  Oh man, when she said that, my eyes just about popped out of my head I was so excited!  Me and Laurie went nuts!  We got lots of cute things and got totally spoiled!  Thanks Shellie!!!!!!!
Once we were done shopping, Laurie and I had to leave to go to Grandma's party out in Provo.  That was a really cool thing.  We had dinner and then a little program.  As a family we decided that instead of each of us getting her a present we would all write down our favorite memories of Grandma, put them in a book and give that to her for her gift.  She loved it!!  My mom was supposed to be the one to present that to her, but instead, I got to.  It was really cool to be able to give that to her.  I could tell she was really touched.  After that we all watched a slideshow of her life.  It was really neat to see pictures of her growing up in Australia.  That's something that none of us have seen very often.  We finished the evening by taking a family picture and hanging out and eating dessert.  All in all it was a GREAT night.  It was so cool to think that all us who were there that night were there because of that one person.  She truly is an amazing woman and I can't express how much I love her in words.  I am so blessed to have a grandma like her.
When I spoke to my mom tonight she said that Grandma said this about the whole night,
"I could have just cried with joy through the whole thing, but I just wouldn't let myself."  She's so cute!  Happy Birthday Grandma!  I sure love you!  (That picture I posted was the only current one I have with us together.)
After the party I went to Laurie's to spend the night.  I went with them to church the next day and then they dropped me off at the airport.  I must say that I LOVE the fact that I could be in Utah and California within a matter of a few hours rather than a whole day of driving.  Flying is genius!  I had a great weekend!  I definitely rambled during this post but there was just so much to tell!  Sorry.....:)

0 comments: