Sunday, March 8, 2009

So much for a nice relaxing weekend at the cabin

Last weekend Dallas and I took Thursday afternoon and Friday off work so we could head up to our family's cabin.  We were so excited for a little getaway and some much needed time to relax.  Dan let us borrow his truck since the roads up in Idaho are always so icy and there is always tonz of snow at the cabin.  So after work on thursday, we were off!  We made pretty far, about a mile from the cabin when we noticed to roads were starting to get a little snow packed, but they were still clear in the tire tracks of all the other cars on the road.  We were coming up behind a truck pulling a trailer and he was going kinda slow, so dallas started to brake.  This is when we started to fishtail...bad.  The roads were all of a sudden all snow packed and icy and we were sliding like crazy!  Dallas managed to pull us out of the first part of it, only to have the back end start sliding the other way.  It was at this point that the truck was completely perpendicular on the road with the driver's side facing oncoming traffic.  Dallas tried everything he could to pull us out of it, but we just kept sliding.  He kept turning the wheel to the right, and we were approaching the right side of the road which was just lined with piled up snow from the plows.  We were probably going like 35-40 mph when he hit the snow bank.  I thought for sure it was going to be one of those rock solid ones, but luckily it was pure powder.  We hit the snow and it puffed out around us like a bunch of feathers, and that's just how soft the impact felt as well.  We were now parallel with the road facing the opposite direction as we were originally traveling.  So we thought we could just drive right out......wrong.  But right then a really nice guy in a truck pulled up, hooked a strap to us, and towed us out of there.  We were so lucky he came along because it was dark and there wasn't much other traffic on the road.  I cannot say how grateful I am that he came when he did.  So, here's a pic of what the snow looked like after we got the truck out.  The picture doesn't really do it justice.........we were stuck!!!
We thought for sure the whole side of the truck would be all smashed in, but this was the only damage.  We were so lucky!
After a traumatizing ride up there, we figured we'd forget about it and just have a great weekend.  So we went out snowmobiling and got some great pics!  These first two are of me jumping.  Yes, I know. I'm rad!  And I got some pretty good air, too!
Yep, Me again!
The next three are Dallas.  He is pretty much the most awesomest snowmobiler I know! :)  Yes, awesomest!
And pretty sexy, too!
This pic is my favorite!  I am an awesome photographer, and he is an awesome snowmobiler. 
'Nuf said!
This is Big Springs.  We just stopped here to take some cool pictures and so I could practice using my camera.  Here were some of the pictures that I really liked.
Later on down the trail, Dallas got stuck.  I went to help dig him out, but when we went to lift the machine from the back handlebar thing....the whole "tunnel" (i guess that's what it's called) broke off.........We had to jerry rig it with some rope we had to drive it back to the cabin.  As you can see, this was a problem because it sits right on the track if there isn't anything holding it up.
We still had another day of sledding to do! We had to get it fixed.  So we found the local yamaha dealership and took it in.  Dallas did all the prep work (took out the old rivets, and took the seat off) so when we got there all the guy would have to do would be to put new rivets in it to hold it in place.  (This is just a cool pic of dal on the way to yamaha.  I love my camera! The B&W wasn't done in iPhoto. That's all camera baby)
$50 later we were good to go. If you ask me we got ripped off.  I can understand the price for the parts, but Dallas helped the guy the whole time and did half the work.  He charged us $25 for labor! Stupid.....
So we got back to the cabin and got ready to go out again.  Went and filled up gas in the sleds and off we went.  We got about a mile or two from the cabin when dallas' sled basically died.  Long story short, the engine was blown.  So we had to tow it back to the cabin and get the Polaris that was in the snowmobile trailer.  Once we did that, we were off again.  About a mile from the cabin, the Polaris started overheated and basically died......again!!!!!  So we slowly drove it back to the cabin and decided to call it a day! Possibly nothing else could go wrong at this point.  We decided to load the sleds in the trailer.  BUT, dallas' machine wouldn't start to even drive it in the trailer.  We had to hook a tow strap to it, feed it through the trailer and attach it to the truck to pull it in.  (The other snow machines weren't strong enough to pull it in)  Here is a pic of it with the strap and the hood up to represent it's busted!
And here you can see how it's fed through the trailer and hooked to the truck.  It worked!
I was so ready to go home by this point!  This was pretty much how I felt about the whole weekend.  WHATEVER!!!!!
Luckily we had a safe trip home and nothing else went wrong.

1 comments:

Andrew and Maren said...

What a weekend...luckily you were prepared! Looks freezing!